Jargon Buster

Trades Handymen

If your planning a home improvement or need a repair on your property, chances are you will come across alot of technical terms, some you may not be familiar with. See our jargon buster below, and for any further advice one of our professionals will be happy to assist you. Call us on 0844 335 6552 or email us.

Adhesive - a product for gluing objects together. Different materials will require different types of adhesives.

Airlock - created when air is trapped in a pipe reducing or stopping waterflow even though there may be pressure trying to force the water along.

Boiler - an appliance in which water is heated under pressure. This is then circulated out of the boiler for use in heating applications. Faulty boilers should only be dealt with by a Gas Safe expert. 

Boiler Flues - devices that safely exhaust the spent fuel gasses from the appliance to the outside of the property. Most are fan assisted.

Bonding - a lightweight plaster generally used as a first coat in the two-part plaster system. Used to adhere to smooth surfaces it has some insulation properties.

Cavity Wall - consists of two 'skins' separated by a hollow space (cavity). The skins are commonly masonry such as brick or concrete block. Masonry is an absorbent material, and therefore will slowly draw rainwater or even humidity into the wall. The cavity serves as a way to drain this water back out through weep holes in the base of the wall system.

Cistern - a container designed to hold water often used for flushing toilets.

Circuit Breaker - a switch that replaces a fuse to protect from electrical overload.

Coving - a decorative mould used at the junction of an interior wall or ceiling. 

Downpipe - the soil pipe that rises vertically through a house from the drainage, connecting toilets, baths and basins.

Dry-Lining - plasterboarding walls and ceilings by fixing sheets of pre-plastered boards.

Eaves - overhang of a roof beyond the wall below.

Flashing - a waterproof material used to seal exterior joints such as between the roof and walls or chimney; or where two roof planes meet. 

Flue - a duct, pipe or channel carrying away smoke or hot air usually from a fireplace, furnace, water-heater, boiler or generator. 

Fuse - a device to protect an electrical appliance, or circuit, against excessive current flow.

Glazier - a construction professional who selects, cuts, installs, replaces, and removes residential, commercial, and artistic glass.   

Grout - a material used to fill and secure the gaps between tiles.

Joist - a structural member running horizontally and supporting a ceiling or floor. 

Lagging - the insulation material used to wrap around pipes and tanks in unheated areas to prevent freezing. Also, used on hot water tanks to prevent heat loss. 

Lintel - a strong support, usually above a door or window designed to bear the weight of any load above it.  

Mains Supply - water supplied by the utilities or water companies or electricity supplied by the electricity companies.

Pilot Light - a small gas flame, usually natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas, which is kept alight in order to serve as an ignition source for a more powerful gas burner.

Plastering - house construction technique involving the application of plaster to walls and ceilings.   

Plasterboard - prefabricated sheets of plaster for walls and ceilings. 

Pointing - a method of sealing a layer between bricks and re-filing should erosion have occurred.

Rendering - removing any plaster material or residual render from the walls and uncovering the brick base. Applying render so the walls can be-plastered.

Ridge - the top of a pitched roof. 

Skimming - plastering on a rendered, plaster boarded wall or ceiling. It could also be used to re-skim a previously finished wall ready for decoration. 

Screed - a fine layer of concrete or compound used to provide a smooth and level surface to a floor. 

Soffit - the undersurface of any part of a building such as the arch, eaves or cantilevered section. 

Stopcock - controls the flow of water and shuts off the entire supply in an emergency. The stopcock can be found under the kitchen sink, bathroom, cloakroom, cellar or basement.

Valve - a mechanical device that regulates the flow of materials by opening, closing or partially obstructing various passageways.  

Weephole - a small opening at the foot of the outer wall of a cavity wall providing an outlet for moisture to drain to the outside.

Only £99*
* includes
1st Year Subscription
to AssureCall, Including Vat













Decorators     Plasterers     Builders     Plumbers     Electricians     Joiners     Heating & Gas     Handymen

All Trades GB Ltd, Unit 4, Elder Court, Lions Drive, Blackburn, Lancashire, BB1 2EQ  Tel: 0844 335 6552

Calls are recorded and monitored for training and quality purposes

Powered by Digician.com   |   Privacy Statement   |   Terms Of Use